Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Squishmallows

     

    My daughter will be 12 in a few weeks and one of the items of her birthday wish list (picture a list longer than a CVS receipt) is a cow or frog squishmallow. No big deal. How hard can one be to find? IMPOSSIBLE.

    I remember hearing stories about the Cabbage Patch doll Christmas of 1984. During the mid-1990's there was Tickle Me Elmo and beanie babies. However, since having my own children starting in 2007, I can't recall any crazy toy trends. Are squishmallows the Cabbage Patch doll of 2021? 

    Naively, I thought I would be able to find one on Etsy or Mercari. Woah. I can find them on there, but I refuse to pay $200 (that's the resale mark-up price) for a 5 inch squishmallow that will fade off into the world of dog toys in a few short weeks. 

    Never did I think my first trip to the store in over a year would be to search for a cow stuffed animal. Shockingly, after being stuck inside for over a year, I am actually looking forward to searching for this stuffed creature in-person. 



4 comments:

  1. You know it's fun writing on my wife, Steph's blog. I do hate that she hasn't been able to go to the store. It's crazy knowing you haven't been able to see the social distancing spots in a store. I'm sure UberEats and Doordash are going to be sad for our decrease need of their service. But I love that you have been able to get vaccinated be able to go to the store here in the near future. The chocolate section at the grocery store misses you... they whisper in my ear when I walk by it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The struggles of parenting....a toy crazy coming for you when you thought you'd avoided it. And in the midst of a pandemic. This is truly a slice. Of. Life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! I can remember the Tickle Me Elmo hunts that had us all shaking our heads years later!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Longer than a CVS receipt - cracked me up! My daughter will be 12 shortly as well and I can imagine.

    And I hadn't through about Cabbage Patch Kids in a long time. I remember being on the waitlist at ToysRUs. It finally came in while I was at summer camp. My mom picked it up and sent off a USPS deliver - with only the birth certificate!! The things we remember from childhood. Thanks for prompting the memory. I am sure you will come up with something fabulous for the birthday celebration.

    ReplyDelete

Allergies

 Spring brings joyous change.  Walks, open windows, tennis, Gardens and sunshine. Sadly, my darn allergies make me only want my bed. _______...