Monday, March 1, 2021

Write One Word

        In January I started tracking my habits and emotions using a bullet journal. One of my favorite pages for each month is "Write One Word". Each month I have decided to focus on one word as my theme for the month. 

    January I focused on permission. I wanted the daily reminder to give myself permission to be human. So often I find myself feeling guilty for saying no, not knowing enough, not doing enough or being too emotional. Giving myself the remainder daily that I have permission to not be enough is giving myself permission to be human.

Permission - Write One Word Over and Over

    February I focused on agility. I watched a TedTalk about having emotional agility and it really spoke to me. I enjoyed the idea of being agile with my emotions, and learning to be emotionally flexible in all situations.



    This month I am focusing on mindfulness. I don't want to ignore my constant, at times whirlwind, of thoughts. However, I want to practice being at ease with my thoughts. My goal is to focus on being okay with just being in the moment with my thoughts without acting upon them immediately. 

11 comments:

  1. I really like the idea of focusing in on one word, and how it has encouraged you to focus in on a particular feeling or emotion.
    Thank you for the inspiration.
    ~ V

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Steph, The Write One Word technique is a great idea and very inspirational for me, thanks! I was thinking about practicing mindfulness my self this month!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Stephanie! I love the idea of having a focus word of the month! I've seen people do that for the year but not month by month and I love it. I was particularly interested by your January word, and think that's such an important one for us as teachers. So thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I tend to be impulsive and struggle with yearly commitments, so when I saw the idea for a monthly word I knew it would be perfect for me.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing your practice. I appreciate the thoughtfulness of focusing on one word, one state of being. Life can be so overwhelming and that daily reminder is very powerful. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A monthly word is like a little gift to yourself. You know the best what you need at times. Your journal pages look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love the framing of the word as a gift to myself. Perfect description.

      Delete
  6. What a fabulous idea to have a monthly word to guide you! I've never tried that before. I think meditation is a great one to have as an overlap with the SOLSC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meditation is something that is new to me, but I am thoroughly enjoying my journey. When I discovered that the app Headspace was free to educators, I subscribed and haven't looked back!

      Delete
  7. I love the repetition and ownership of your word each month! One word is a great practice, and I know mindfulness will serve you well as you write this month!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome to the March Slice of Life Challenge. Mindfulness, what a great pairing for a month of slicing.

    ReplyDelete

Allergies

 Spring brings joyous change.  Walks, open windows, tennis, Gardens and sunshine. Sadly, my darn allergies make me only want my bed. _______...