Friday, March 12, 2021

Refried Beans and NyQuil

     Last night I took some NyQuil and laid down for bed around 8:00pm. Shortly after getting comfortable in bed, my 11 year old wanders to my room and snuggles into bed next to me. They asked if we could watch some TikTok videos together. I love hearing them giggle at some of the ridiculous videos on TikTok, so I gladly opened the app. 

    Next thing I know it is 9:15pm and I am running downstairs with my 13 year old and 11 year old behind me. I told them we MUST find a can a refried beans to see if the TikTok that we just watched is real. (TikTok of floating beans) I found said can of refried beans and promptly placed it on the center burner of our gas stove. The kids are still just starring at me in amazement because I'm normally a stickler for a 9pm bedtime. However, NyQuil told me that making refried beans rise out of a hot can was WAY more important than an appropriate bedtime for the growing humans. 

    Fast forward fifteen minutes...we now have boiling refried bean water, but no movement from the actual glob of beans. My 11 year old is very worried that the can is going to explode and hurt me. The 13 year old is explaining the science and changing of states of matter behind why the refried beans are going to rise up at any moment. My NyQuil induced brain is realizing that I need sleep more than I need floating refried beans in my life, at that moment. So I turn the burner off and promise the kids we would resume our bean filled excitement in the morning.


    Normally, the 11 year old wakes up about 3 minutes before logging into their online classes. Not this morning! They were up a good forty minutes before they needed to login to class, and they were determined to finish the bean experiment. I turned the burner back on and we proceeded to wait. Half an hour later and still no floating beans!! At this point in the experiment, I realized that my house was beginning to smell like burnt refried beans. It was at that point, I turned the burner off and gave up on our floating beans. Now I have a house that smells like burnt refried beans and two sleep deprived middle schoolers. 

    Oh the joys of parenting on NyQuil!

3 comments:

  1. Due to this post...I will be coming home later tonight. Maybe after everyone gets some sleep. Thank you for the warning! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is hilarious. To be able to pull yourself through the NyQuil fog for anything, let alone a prolonged waiting - that's love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was too funny. This is a memory maker for sure. "Remember when we tried the bean thing after bedtime?"

    ReplyDelete

Allergies

 Spring brings joyous change.  Walks, open windows, tennis, Gardens and sunshine. Sadly, my darn allergies make me only want my bed. _______...